Message #4063

From: Andy F <legomany3448@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 2x2x2x2: a few algs and an example solve
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 23:11:36 -0400

Hey all!

I haven’t been keeping up with the activity here, but I thought I’d give my
thoughts on Marc’s solve anyway.

The double Ortega method makes a lot of sense, so I just tried it on a
virtual 2^4 since I don’t have a physical puzzle yet. It took 132 moves,
which was on-par with my 130-move first-layer/OLL/PLL (FLOP?) solve.
Instead of using the <RI> subset for permuting the first layer (PFL?), I
used <RUFLBD>, which cut the move count on that step by half at the cost
since the opposite layer’s permutation didn’t matter.

As for solving the U2 parity, I was introduced to a much shorter algorithm
at a recent 3D competition:

(R’ L’ U2 R L U’)2

This can be adapted to an even shorter 2^n algorithm, which is quite
ergonomic on a 2^3:

(R2 F2 R2 U’)2

Since PBL is so small, I think it may even be possible to combine PBL with
U2 parity (U2P? Am I going too crazy with these acronyms?). I’ll start
looking through the PBL algs
<https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/PBL> and see if I can put
together a PBL-P set.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Ty Jones whotyjones@gmail.com [4D_Cubing]
<4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Wow! That’s exciting that someone with so many subscribers got a hold of
> your puzzle!
>
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:32 AM Melinda Green melinda@superliminal.com
> [4D_Cubing] <4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>

>> That’s so cool, Marc! Best of all it puts you among the first 10 official
>> solvers at number 8. And so much goodness within these videos. I love your
>> single piece flip and the way you so casually perform twists in the
>> spooky projection
>> <https://www.youtube..com/watch?v=N4lqDkDJ4Yo&feature=youtu.be&t=4m4s>
>> which hurts my brain. I’m also curious about that crazy solve you did where
>> you placed all the pieces and then oriented them all in place and hope
>> you’ll make a video walk through of that method. It may not be a useful
>> solution method but it’s certainly a good exercise of a handy technique.
>>
>> In unrelated news, a crazy YouTube celebrity Miguel Gimenez in Spain
>> bought a puzzle and made a wonderful video introduction in Spanish
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHC6iR_DUM>. I had seen his work
>> before but didn’t realize this was him until he told me about his new
>> video. He has an astounding 1.2 million subscribers and his video already
>> has over 100,000 views and 1,000 comments! He appears to have done a very
>> careful job though I can’t tell how accurate it is. If one of you
>> understands the puzzle and also speaks Spanish, please let me know what you
>> think. He told me he plans to allow community subtitle submissions, so if
>> anyone wants to attempt that, please let him know, and of course let us
>> know because I’m eager to read it myself..
>>

>> Now back to Marc with congratulations on securing his prime spot in the
>> 2x2x2x2 HOF! Very nicely done, Marc!
>>
>> Happy puzzling!
>> -Melinda
>>

>> On 7/12/2018 6:51 PM, Marc Ringuette ringuette@solarmirror.com
>> [4D_Cubing] wrote:
>>
>> Hi gang! I’m back to studying the physical 2^4, after a 6 month
>> break. You know what that means: lots of little YouTube videos with
>> no production values whatsoever! I’ve uploaded six videos to the new
>> YouTube channel I’ve created for my puzzle stuff. Five short videos
>> describe the move set I’m using and a few algorithms, then I give a 10
>> minute solution video to put me on the HOF list.
>>
>> Probably the most generally interesting of these videos is the third,
>> #23 in my numbering sequence, showing how to perform a 180 degree twist
>> on a single piece (in 30 moves using ROIL Zero). I shorten this to 10
>> moves in the case of orienting two opposite faces only, in video #24. I
>> used the shortened version in my example solve at this point 6m45s in: https://youtu.be/N4lqDkDJ4Yo?t=6m45s
>>
>> 21 ROIL Zero moveset 1m11s https://youtu.be/hOt5DnDNibg
>> 22 Sune+Antisune+twist2 3m17s https://youtu.be/R9DQhB88yMY
>> 23 Doubletwist algorithm 2m17s https://youtu.be/Io4rN080V7c
> [...]

"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily
available, they will create their own problems." - Scott Adams