Message #4040

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Physical 2x2x2x2 - Solution attempt by Can Chris Solve
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 22:10:45 -0700

Chris has been struggling with the puzzle for a while, and I think he’s finally gotten his head around it. Today he posted a new video of a solution attempt where he came very close:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYr6oNePqM

He ended up stuck with a single 90 degree twist of one end cap which I believe should be impossible, right? I did see a small mistake at the 12:06 mark where he makes identical twists on both halves rather than reversing one of them, but that should result in a 180 degree twist which I believe should be solvable. Some sharp-eyed viewers commented that he appears to have messed up when replacing a couple of popped pieces which appears to be true from my examination. I left a comment with these observations, and I encourage everyone to watch the video and add any help or observations you may have. And of course please upvote his video and share it with your social networks.

We don’t get to see his scrambling sequence, but would one of you please attempt to solve it from his starting position and let us and/or him know if it was valid?

And now an update on the project: Marc and I have been assembling puzzles as sales dribbled in at a slow pace, but after Chris’ first introduction video got some 65,000 views (!) we got over 50 quote requests resulting in ten sales! We just now got enough 3D printed parts to cover those, and shortly we should have enough magnets, so we will be in assembly mode for some time. I have no idea what sort of sales will be generated from Chris’ new video, but if it’s anything like his first, that will be pretty wonderful. I’ve never run any sort of retail business, so this is all new to me, but thank goodness for Marc’s help and some other friends pitching in! I couldn’t do this on my own.

Happy puzzling!
-Melinda