Message #3997

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: The physical 2x2x2x2 as seen by a ‘regular’ cuber.
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:06:41 -0800

Hello Brian,

This is very cool that you solved the puzzle, and especially nice to see what it looks like from someone approaching it purely as a 3D puzzle. Your description makes a wonderful introduction to our group!

Of course this stuff is difficult to describe in text and we’re still feeling around for the best notations. I really appreciate your gyro video clips, and I hope you can be convinced to upload a video of showing a full solve with descriptions of what you’re doing at each step. Don’t worry about length if that’s a burden. I’m sure that lots of us would love to watch it closely regardless of length.

Regarding layers, we’ve tended to call them "slices" in MagicCube4d. Twisting them is done by holding down number keys while twisting left or right. The number ‘2’ affects the second slice, ‘3’ the third, etc. You can hold down any combination to compose a kind of chord or "slices mask" as it’s called in the code. Those puzzles can be solved layer-by-layer or by piece type. Neither approach really applies to the physical 2^4 though.

Welcome and happy puzzling!
-Melinda