Message #3934

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Physical 2x2x2x2 - Canonical moves
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 18:43:44 -0800

Hello Joel,

It appears that If we only care about not getting out of the legal set of states, then no compensating twists are required for #9 at all. Although I don’t know how to do it, I’m guessing that you could twist a single end cap of a solved puzzle and then solve it using only moves 1-8. In other words, it’s similar to flipping a single piece in that it can be justified as a legitimate macro move but just feels like it’s gone too far, whereas moves #4 and 5 are so much simpler that they feel OK.

So it sounds like your answer to my main question of how to describe #9 is that any sequence of them on a half puzzle is fine so long as you keep track of the twists mod 4 and make any compensating twist on the other half when you’re done.

I’d still love to know where you draw the lines delineating primitive moves and canonical moves. I’d also love to hear from more people on this as well as any suggested reordering of these numbers or any additional moves that belong here. I agree with Marc that it’s fine to end up with multiple rule sets. I’d just love to first establish how much we already agree upon.

Thanks,
-Melinda