Message #3828

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Melinda’s physical 2^4 puzzle, mirrors
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 17:00:53 -0800

It’s not so much an issue as a useful quirk of 3D space into which MC4D has been projected because it lets us specify twists according to clockwise and counterclockwise rotations about an axis. That only works in 3D. In general you need to specify a 2D plane about which to rotate such that no point ends up at a different distance from that plane than it started. I don’t know if the concept of handedness can be meaningfully extended to higher dimensions, but I barely feel like I have a grip on the concept in 3D. I’ll also note that the original Rubik’s cube has the same issues. If you require 6 particular colors in 3 particular pairs, then after you’ve stickered 2 pairs of faces, you’ll be faced with a choice of 2 ways to add the final pair. So for example, if you look for the corner with red, white, and blue stickers, they will be arranged clockwise in one arrangement and counterclockwise in it’s mirrored twin.

-Melinda