Message #3709

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Physical 4D puzzle V2
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 18:33:05 -0700

Hello Joel,

Thanks for drilling into this puzzle. Finding good ways to discuss and think about moves and representations will be key. I’ll comment on some details in-line.

Yes, I made that claim in the video but didn’t show it because I have yet to record such a sequence. I’ve only stumbled through it a few times. I talked about it at 5:53 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqftZ8kJKLo&t=5m53s> though I mistakenly called it a twist, when I should have called it a sequence.

> I think I’ve found six moves including ordinary twists and a restacking move that is identical to a half-rotation and thus it’s easy to compose a restacking move with one half-rotation and five ordinary twists. There might be an error since I’ve only played with the puzzle in my mind so it would be great if you, Melinda, could confirm this (the sequence is described later in this email).

You mean "RLx Ly2 Sy By2 Ly2 RLx’ = Sz-"? Yes, that works. There do seem to be easier ways to do that beginning with an ordinary rolling rotation. I don’t see those in your notation, but the equivalent using a pair of twists would be Rx Lx’ Sx Vy if I got that right.

> To be able to communicate move sequences properly we need notation for representing twists, rotations, half-rotations, restacking moves and folds. Feel free to come with other suggestion but you can find mine below. Please read the following thoroughly (maybe twice) to make sure that you understand everything since misinterpreted notation could potentially become a nightmare and feel free to ask questions if there is something that needs clarification.
> *
> Coordinate system and labelling:*
>
> Let’s introduce a global coordinate system. In whatever state the puzzle is let the positive x-axis point upwards, the positive y-axis towards you and the positive z-axis to the right (note that this is a right-hand system).

I see the utility of a global coordinate system, but this one seems rather non-standard. I suggest that X be to the right, and Y up since these are near-universal standards. Z can be in or out. I have no opinion. If there is any convention in the twisty puzzle community, I’d go with that.

Note also that the wiki may be a good place to document and iterate on terminology, descriptions and diagrams. Ray added a "notation" section to the 3^4 page here <http://wiki.superliminal.com/wiki/3%5E4>, and I know that one other member was thinking of collecting a set of moves on another wiki page.

> Now let’s name the 8 faces of the puzzle. The right face is denoted with R, the left with L, the top U (up), the bottom D (down), the front F, the back B, the center K (kata) and the last one A (ana). The R and L faces are either the outer corners of the right and left halves respectively or the inner corners of these halves (forming octahedra) depending on the representation of the puzzle. The U, D, F and B faces are either two diamond shapes (looking something like this: <><>) on the corresponding side of the puzzle or one whole and two half diamond shapes (><><). The K face is either an octahedron in the center of the puzzle or the outer corners of the center 2x2x2 block. Lastly, the A face is either two diamond shapes, one on the right and one on the left side of the puzzle, or another shape that’s a little bit hard to describe with just a few words (the white stickers at 5:10 in the latest video, after the half-rotation but before the restacking move).

I think it’s more correct to say that the K face is either an octahedron at the origin (A<>K<>A) or in the center of one of the main halves, with the A face inside the other half(>A<>K<). This was what I was getting at in my previous message. You do later talk about octahedral faces being in either the center or the two main halves, so this is just terminology. But about "the outer corners of the center 2x2x2 block", this cannot be the A or K face as you’ve labeled them. You’ve been calling these the L/R faces, but the left-right distinction disappears in the half-rotated state, so maybe "left" and "right" aren’t the best names. To me, they are always the "outside" faces, regardless. You can distinguish them as the left and right outside faces in one representation, or as the center and end outside faces in the other. (Or perhaps "end" versus "ind" if we want to be cute.)

I’m also a little torn about naming the interior faces ana and kata, not because of the names themselves which I like, but because the mysterious faces to me are the outermost ones you’re calling R and L. It only requires a simple rotation to move faces in and out of the interior (octahedral) positions, but it’s much more difficult to move another axis into the L/R/outer direction.

So maybe the directions can be

* Up-Down
* Front-Back
* Ind-End
* Ana-Kata

I’m not in love with it and will be happy with anything that works. Thoughts anyone?

I think it’s fine to call the clamshell move a fold or denote it as V. I just wouldn’t consider it to be a basic move since it’s a simple composite of 3 basic twists as shown here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asx653BGDWA&t=19m40s>. In general, I think there are so many useful composite moves that we need to be able to easily make them up ad hoc with substitutions like *Let **↓ = **Rx Lx’*. These are really macro moves which can be nested. That said, it’s a particularly useful move so it’s probably worth describing in some formal way like you do in detail below.

> Further, let I (capital i) be the identity, preserving the state and rotation of the puzzle. We cannot use I to indicate what moves should be performed but it’s still useful as we will see later. Since we also want to be able to express if a sequence of moves is a rotation, preserving the state of the puzzle but possibly representing it in a different way, we can introduce mod(rot) (modulo rotation). So, if a move sequence P satisfies P mod(rot) = I, that means that the state of the puzzle is the same before and after P is performed although the rotation and representation of the puzzle are allowed to change. I do also want to introduce mod(3rot) (modulo 3D-rotation) and P mod(3rot) = I means that if the right 3D-rotation (a combination of O moves as we will see later) is applied to the puzzle after P you get the identity I. Moreover, let the standard rotation of the puzzle be any rotation such that the longer side is parallel with the z-axis, that is the puzzle forms a
> 2x2x4 (2 pieces thick in the x-direction, 2 in the y-direction and 4 in the z-direction), and the K face is an octahedron.
> *
> Rotations and twists:
>
> *Now we can move on to name actual moves. The notation of a move is a combination of a capital letter and a lowercase letter. O followed by x, y or z is a rotation of the whole puzzle around the corresponding axis in the mathematical positive direction (counterclockwise/the way your right-hand fingers curl if you point in the direction of the axis with your thumb). For example, Ox is a rotation around the x-axis that turns a 2x2x4 into a 2x4x2. A name of a face (U, D, F, B, R, L, K or A) followed by x, y or z means: detach the 8 pieces that have a sticker belonging to the face and then turn those pieces around the global axis. For example, if the longer side of the puzzle is parallel to the z-axis (the standard rotation), Rx means: take the right 2x2x2 block and turn it around the global x-axis in the mathematical positive direction. Note that what moves are physically possible and allowed is determined by the rotation of the puzzle (I will come back to this later). Further
> note that Ox mod(rot) = Oy mod(rot) = Oz mod(rot) = I, meaning that the 3D-rotations of the physical puzzle corresponds to a 4D-rotation of the represented 2x2x2x2.

There are several, distinct types of rotations, none of which change the state of the puzzle, and I think we need a way to be unambiguous about them. The types I see are

  1. Simple reorientation of the physical puzzle in the hand, no magnets involved. IE your ‘O’ moves and maybe analogous to mouse-dragging in MC4D?
  2. Rolling of one 2x2x2 half against the other. Maybe analogous to ctrl-click?
  3. Half-rotations. Maybe analogous to a "face first" view? (ctrl-click on a 2-color piece of the 3^4 with the setting "Ctrl-Click Rotates: by Cubie")
  4. Whole-puzzle reorientations that move an arbitrary axis into the "outer" 2 faces. No MC4D analog.

> [...]
> (Rx)^2 = Rx^2 and (Rx)’ = Rx’ which is true for all twists and rotations but that doesn’t have to be the case for other types of moves (restacks and folds).
> *
> Restacking moves*
>
> A restacking move is an S followed by either x, y or z. Here the lowercase letter specifies in what direction to restack. For example, Sy (from the standard rotation) means: take the front 8 pieces and put them at the back, whereas Sx means: take the top 8 pieces and put them at the bottom. Note that Sx is equivalent to taking the bottom 8 pieces and putting them at the top. However, if we want to be able to make half-rotations we sometimes need to restack through a plane that doesn’t go through the origin. In the standard rotation, let Sz be the normal restack (taking the 8 right pieces, the right 2x2x2 block, and putting them on the left), Sz+ be the restack where you split the puzzle in the plane further in the positive z-direction (taking the right 2x2x1 cap of 4 pieces and putting it at the left end of the puzzle) and Sz- the restack where you split the puzzle in the plane further in the negative z-direction (taking the left 2x2x1 cap of 4 pieces and putting it at the
> right end of the puzzle). If the longer side of the puzzle is parallel to the x-axis instead, Sx+ would take the top 1x2x2 cap and put it on the bottom. Note that in the standard rotation Sz mod(rot) = I. For restacks we see that (Sx)’ = Sx’ = Sx (true for y and z too of course), that (Sz+)’ = Sz- and that (Sz+)2 = (Sz-)2 = Sz. We can define Sz’+ to have meaning by thinking of z’ as the negative z-axis and with that in mind it’s natural to define Sz’+=Sz-. Thus, (Sz)’ = Sz’ and (Sz+)’ = Sz’+.
>
> *Fold moves*
>
> A fold might be a little bit harder to describe in an intuitive way. First, let’s think about what folds are interesting moves. The folds that cannot be expressed as rotations and restacks are unfolding the puzzle to a 4x4 and then folding it back along another axis. If we start with the standard rotation and unfold the puzzle into a 1x4x4 (making it look like a 4x4 from above) the only folds that will achieve something you can’t do with a restack mod(rot) is folding it to a 2x4x2 so that the longer side is parallel with the y-axis after the fold. Thus, there are 8 interesting fold moves for any given rotation of the puzzle since there are 4 ways to unfold it to a 4x4 and then 2 ways of folding it back that make the move different from a restack move mod(rot).

Assuming you complete a folding move in the same representation (<><> or ><><), then there are only two interesting choices. That’s because it doesn’t matter which end of a chosen cutting plane you open it from, the end result will be the same. That also means that any two consecutive clamshell moves along the same cutting plane will undo each other. It further suggests that any interesting sequence of clamshell moves must alternate between the two possible long cut directions, meaning there is no choice involved. 12 clamshell moves will cycle back to the initial state.

There is one other weird folding move where you open it in one direction and then fold the two halves back-to-back in a different direction. If you simply kept folding along the initial hinge, you’d simply have a restacking. When completed the other way, it’s equivalent to a restacking plus a clamshell, so I don’t think it’s useful though it is somewhat interesting.

I think the only legal 90 degree twists of the K face are those about the long axis. I believe this is what Christopher Locke was saying in this message <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/4D_Cubing/conversations/messages/3645>. To see why there is no straightforward way to perform other 90 degree twists, you only need to perform a 90 degree twist on an outer (L/R) face and then reorient the whole puzzle along a different outer axis. If the original twist was not about the new long axis, then there is clearly no straightforward way to undo that twist.

> A moves, only Az moves since this is two 2x2x1 blocks that have to be rotated together.
>
> S moves, not Sx+, Sx-, Sy+ or Sy- since those are not defined in the standard rotation.
>
> V moves, not Vz+ or Vz- since the definition doesn’t give these meaning when the long side of the puzzle is parallel with the z-axis.
>
> Note that for example Fz2 is not allowed since this won’t take you to a state of the puzzle. To allow more moves we need to extend the definitions (after the extension in the next paragraph all rotations and twists (O, R, L, U, D, F, B, K, A) are possible in any rotation and only which S and V moves are possible depend on the state and rotation of the puzzle).
>

> *Extension of some definitions*
>
> It’s possible to make an extension that allows all O, R, L, U, D, F, B, K and A moves in any state. I will explain how this can be done in the standard rotation but it applies analogously to any other rotation where the K face is an octahedron. First let’s focus on U, D, F and B and because of the symmetry of the puzzle all of these are analogous so I will only explain one. The extension that makes all U moves possible (note that the U face is in the positive x-direction) is as follows: when making an U move first detach the 8 top pieces which gives you a 1x2x4 block, fold this block into a 2x2x2 block in the positive x-direction (similar to the later part of a Vx+ move from the standard rotation) such that the U face form an octahedron, rotate this 2x2x2 block around the specified axis (for example around the z-axis if you are doing an Uz move), reverse the fold you just did creating a 1x2x4 block again and reattach the block.

I noticed something like this the other day but realized that it only seems to work for rotations along the long dimension (z in your example). These are already easily accomplished by a simple rotation to put the face in question on the end caps, followed by a double end-cap twist.

This is as far as I’m going to comment for the moment because the information gets very dense and I’ve been mulling and picking over your message for several days already. In short, I really like your attempt to provide a complete system of notation for discussing this puzzle and will be curious to hear your thoughts on my comments so far. I hope others will chime in too.

One final thought is that a real "acid test" of any notation system for this puzzle will be attempt to translate some algorithms from MC4D. I would most like to see a sequence that flips a single piece, like the second 4-color series on this page <http://superliminal.com/cube/solution/pages/four_color.htm> of Roice’s solution, or his pair of twirled corners at the end of this page <http://superliminal.com/cube/solution/pages/series_hints.htm>. One trick will be to minimize the number of whole-puzzle reorientations needed, but really any sequence that works will be great evidence that the puzzles are equivalent. I suspect that this sort of exercise will never be practical because it will require too many reorientations, and that entirely new methods will be needed to actually solve this puzzle.

Best,
-Melinda