Message #3691

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Physical 4D puzzle V2
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:09:33 -0700

Dear Cubists,

I’ve finished version 2 of my physical puzzle and uploaded a video of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqftZ8kJKLo
Again, please don’t share these videos outside this group as their purpose is just to get your feedback. I’ll eventually replace them with a public video.

Here is an extra math puzzle that I bet you folks can answer: How many families of states does this puzzle have? In other words, if disassembled and reassembled in any random configuration the magnets allow, what are the odds that it can be solved? This has practical implications if all such configurations are solvable because it would provide a very easy way to fully scramble the puzzle.

And finally, a bit of fun: A relatively new friend of mine and new list member, Marc Ringuette, got excited enough to make his own version. He built it from EPP foam and colored tape, and used honey instead of magnets to hold it together. Check it out here: http://superliminal.com/cube/dessert_cube.jpg I don’t know how practical a solution this is but it sure looks delicious! Welcome Marc!

-Melinda