Message #3636

From: Christopher Locke <project.eutopia@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Physical 4D puzzle achieved
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 16:09:36 -0800

Hello Melinda,

Congratulations! Looks very nice.

I noticed when looking at your puzzle, that the rough correspondence is
the following:

The problem here is that the outer +/-w stickers always stay on the 8
corners of the left and right 2x2x2 blocks. This means that you cannot
mix up w stickers with x, y, or z stickers yet, without doing some
inversion of the small 3D cubes.

In conclusion, without yet considering the "inversion" type moves, you
have all 90 degree twists of the w faces, and 180 degree twists of the
x, y, z faces. The trick is to find out how to legally mix the w
stickers up with x, y, z stickers. If you can do this, then the 90
degree flexibility of the w face twists should make it possible to reach
any permutation. I will think about this more on the weekend, using
some pen and paper instead of just thinking while walking to work (it is
hard to visualize the inversion moves in my head :D).

Best regards,
Chris