Message #3567

From: qqwref@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: MagicTile Solving
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:55:56 -0800

I find Gigaminx/Teraminx style puzzles are fun to do occasionally, but they take a long time and mostly involve just finding pieces - the solution is all very similar, and most of the hard part is doing the Rubik’s Cube style part at the end where corners and groups of edges have to be moved around. Compare a puzzle like Dodecahedron E1:0:0 E0:1:0 where there are a lot of interesting interactions between layers. So that’s one thing I’d like to see more of, multiple layers of the same type that interact in interesting ways. There are a few ways to mix megaminx + pyraminx crystal or megaminx + F1:1:1… things like that. Just try to steer clear of puzzles with too many tiny pieces.

Also, I’d like to see new colorings/tilings and new types of twists for existing ones. There are a lot of categories (e.g. {5,5} 8-Color Edge Twisting) with only one puzzle, where that one puzzle is pretty easy - could there be deeper cuts? Or, can some of those easy puzzles be combined into an interesting Mixed Twisting puzzle? And how about the Projective Plane puzzles - I’m sure several more could be added there. The ones where the cuts almost go halfway through the puzzle (like Hemi-Dodecahedron F2:0:1) can be very interesting to solve; what would it look like if we combined one of those with a very shallow cut?

–Michael