Message #3496

From: Eduard Baumann <ed.baumann@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Earthquake Puzzle
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:40:45 +0200

Wow!

Roice and Melinda your are amazing!

Kind regards
Ed

—– Original Message —–
From: Melinda Green melinda@superliminal.com [4D_Cubing]
To: 4D_Cubing@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 3:42 AM

How very cool, Roice!

I don’t quite understand how the twist highlighting works but I’m able to sort of find the ones I want and solve a couple of random scrambling twists.

You’ve probably already guessed what I’m going to which is whether this puzzle could support the "Show as Skew" view. We’ve learned that solving is better supported by the hyperbolic view but a 3D view would help in understanding the topology of the puzzle. I stared a bit at this image to try to understand what’s going on. From your description it sounds like each twist cuts one off the three struts of a red hub, turns one of those arms around its cut, flipping the hub over and swapping the other two struts. Is that correct? That seems to suggest that the scrambling twists plus solving twists is always even. It also suggests there are other types of possible twists. One of them seems like the most natural one to me which twists a selected strut by 180 degrees, swapping the hubs at each end. That one seems to be a "true" Big Chop-like deep cut since it’s symmetric on both sides. Actually, it looks like there are more than one way to do that too though the simple geometric rotation seems the most natural.

The really neat thing about your new feature is that it works at a kind of meta level by operating on the hubs and struts of high genus surfaces similarly to how we’ve been twisting vertices and edges within them. Heck, it looks like you could even create puzzles within puzzles where you manipulate the structure like you are doing now while also allowing users to twist the elements within the texture with a modifier key or something. Does that make any sense?

Assuming I haven’t gone completely off into the weeds, I’d love to see the {7,3} or other IRPs supported in this way. None of this is to pressure you to implement anything but rather to try to understand what this new puzzle means and where it could go.

Thanks for the wonderful new toy!
-Melinda