Message #3470

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 4D puzzle math
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:52:24 -0500

Yep, Ashton is right. Those are Schläfli symbols
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schl%C3%A4fli_symbol>. Here are a few
articles discussing them (in the context of honeycombs, but the info is
there):

In the case of the hypercube…

Sometimes the symbols are not unique, e.g. the {4}x{4} (a duoprism
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duoprism>of square prisms) is also a
hypercube, as is {4,3}x{} (a cubical prism).

I don’t think there is a Schläfli symbol for a rectangular cuboid, so
unfortunately you won’t be able to make what you are wanting in the "invent
my own" functionality of MC4D. Andrey’s magic puzzle ultimate supports
these though, and includes some by default like the 2x2x2x3 and the
2x3x4x5. (Note that to make a 4D equivalent of a 3x3x5, you’ll need to
choose a 4th number!) You could take a look at his configuration for those
in the MPUlt_puzzles.txt file, and adapt to make your own new cuboid
puzzles of whatever size.

Roice