Message #3234

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Visualizing Hyperobjects
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 19:21:42 -0800

No. Every once in a while people will claim that some other brilliant
person has the ability, but I believe they’re wrong, and the reason for
that is that we’ve evolved specifically to live in 3 dimensions and it’s
very hard-coded in our brains. I recently saw a video in which the
speaker claimed that we can’t even visualize in 1 or 2 dimensions
because when we try, we really end up simply embedding lines and planes
in a mental 3D space. We do have the ability to think abstractly and can
therefore deal with any number of dimensions and even fractional
dimensions, but when it comes to visualizing, them, I’ve concluded that
we’re hopelessly stuck.