Message #3136

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] MagicCube5D Stickers
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:37:17 -0500

Sure, they could. They could also be dots: see some MC6D pictures
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/4D_Cubing/photos/albums/1099782835> in
the pictures area, where I drew stickers as dots because 5D-stickers would
look excessively complicated. If you look at Don’s ND-solver code
<http://www.plunk.org/~hatch/MagicCubeNdSolve/>, he uses text characters
for stickers, which is yet another possibility. They could even be tiny
little cats if we wanted, as long as the combinatorics of the puzzle
remained accurate :)

I think it is somewhat of an aesthetic choice. If you make them cubes, I
would argue that is less faithful to the nature of the puzzle. The
stickers are 4D, so why not draw them that way? What Melinda described
would be faithful as well in my opinion. A *downside* to making them
appear 3D is that it might end up causing confusion for some folks when
first exposed to the puzzle.

In MC7D, stickers are excessively complicated too, so Andrey made some
choices to cull things out to make usage tractable. It seems necessary to
make some simplification there. Do you have a reason to prefer cubes over
hypercubes in MC5D?

Roice