Message #3039

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Update to the Android app
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:39:47 -0700

Just a note to let you know that I’ve made some small but helpful
changes to the Android app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.superliminal.magiccube4d>.
One change was disabling auto-rotation. Lots of users of the desktop
version turn that off. It doesn’t get in my way there but on the Android
app it makes it difficult. The other change was to implement the 4D
rotate-to-center (ctrl-click on desktop). My epiphany was that I could
implement that feature via tapping on a face. Taps to twist don’t work
due to the tiny stickers, but it only now occurred to me that
rotate-to-center would. This also solves the problem of the 4D
rotate-by-dragging mode leaving the geometry in strange orientations.
Now you just tap any face to snap to the canonical orientation. That
also works in all 3 modes. I find it particularly useful in twisting
mode because it lets me switch 4D views and apply twists without needing
to switch modes. The two new changes work together very synergistically,
and the result feels much more fun and responsive.