Message #2826

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [MC4D] RE: New puzzles
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 01:12:18 -0600

ok, we’ll do them as separate puzzles then. I won’t repeat the
face-turning slicing in both places though, since the face-turning versions
will behave identically. Would be nice if we can come up with some
distinguishing naming too.

I’m not sure I followed your last question. Did you mean to ask if you can
do an identification with an "in place reflection" and "end rotation", but
without extra *reflections*? If that is what you meant, this is possible
to configure, though I’m not sure it can lead to sensical topologies. I
just tried it on a couple puzzles including the {8,4} 9C and only achieved
strange results, but maybe there is some case where it would work. To have
no reflections, use the same trick I suggested above and make the EdgeSet

  1. Internally, this reflects the tile twice, but the second reflection
    just undoes the first one. You can do this and set the other properties
    however you want.

{8,4} 9C has 9 faces, 16 edges, and 8 vertices, so the Euler Characteristic
is 1 and the topology is the projective plane. As configured, there are
some vertices and edges that look identical (same colors) but are
physically different. Not all the faces are octagons. Looks like 4 are
squares and 4 are digons. It is a strange puzzle for sure.

Roice