Message #2811

From: ed.baumann@bluewin.ch
Subject: RE: MagicTile {∞,3} solutions
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:04:47 -0800

I have updated the wiki DB for the new MT puzzles. Unfortunately the illustrations do not work. I have uploaded my picture files and got "error creating thumbnail". I link to these file gives the same message instead of the picture.
Can somebody help?
Ed

—In 4d_cubing@yahoogroups.com, <roice3@…> wrote:

Hi Andrey,

I looked at your {12,4} 40C puzzle using the debugger yesterday, and the issue is with MagicTile, not your configuration. I expect the {15,3} 48C will not work yet either.

The problem is that the code currently culls tiles whose center lie within .00001 of the disk boundary. On the {12,4}, where tiles shrink very fast with each reflection, this limits the total number of tiles generated to about 5k, regardless of the ‘NumTiles’ setting. If I reduce the cutoff threshold, MagicTile generates more tiles and the identifications work.

Anyway, I could make a code change to allow overriding that culling threshold, which we could set on these puzzles with larger polygons and lots of colors. (I wouldn’t want to change the cutoff for existing puzzles, for fear of unintended effects.) Maybe there is a better solution too, but that’s what I’m thinking at the moment.

Roice