Message #2641

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: SF meet-up this Saturday January 26 in Glen Park at noon
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:24:21 -0800

It was all my pleasure, Nan. I had a great time lasting nearly 6 hours.

For the rest of you, we were joined by first-timers Jeremy Fleischman
and Matt Galla who had never met on-line community members like this.
Matt was the second person to solve the unbelievably large 120 Cell
puzzle <http://www.gravitation3d.com/magic120cell/>, an event that I had
predicted would never happen. Now there are 7 solutions. Boy was I ever
wrong! Jeremy
<http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Jeremy_Fleischman> is a
cross-over from the speed-solving community which is wonderful because
our respective communities don’t overlap nearly as much as we should.
Both of these fellows had so much to share. Jeremy’s fastest 3^3 solve
is under 10 seconds! It was fun to have someone there to reset the cubes
that kept getting scrambling. He seemed happy to have found a practical
use for his hard-won skill. Brandon who came to the first meet-up was
very much missed.

I can’t even begin to list the various topics that we covered or all the
great ideas that were produced. I’m sure that each of us came away with
at least a couple of exciting things that we intend to explore, and
hopefully you will see some of the results over time.

Like Nan, I hope that we can do this again soon. Maybe we should at
least turn it into a yearly event with sister events happening in
Austin, Poland, and other locations where more than one or two of us
live. If you are interested in doing that, please feel free to use this
list as a forum for organizing a meet-up in your area.

Attached is a photo we took just as we were breaking up with our heads
stuffed full of puzzling goodness. Here’s also a snap I took of a
sidewalk in SF that appears to be contain 4D cubes in strips of embedded
brass.

Happy puzzling!
-Melinda