Message #2599

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] MagicTile Considerations
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:07:32 -0600

That is an interesting question.

The effects of rotating the 4D skew polyhedron will show up in the 2D view,
and vice versa (since the disk is the "universal
cover<http://mathworld.wolfram.com/UniversalCover.html>"
of the polyhedron). So given a rotation, the same two faces will remain
fixed in both the 4D view and the 2D view. Consider a rotation about the
white face, in which case the other fixed face is ‘Color 30’. For a 180
degree rotation of the disk, notice how the ‘Color 30’ face ends up in the
same place after the rotation as well, and also rotated 180 degrees!

The permutation restrictions you guys found seem to make sense when you
look at the 4D objects. On the runcinated 5-cell, check out how a 90
degree rotation is not a symmetry of the object, whereas a 180 degree
rotation is a symmetry.

Related to this topic, I recommend the Thurston
chapter<http://library.msri.org/books/Book35/files/thurston.pdf>of
"The
Eightfold Way <http://library.msri.org/books/Book35/contents.html>", which
discusses the {7,3} and the unique effects that happen there when you
rotate that tiling in the disk model.

Roice