Message #2588

From: Eduard Baumann <ed.baumann@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] MagicTile Coloring
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 00:17:07 +0100

Thanks very much.

Yes, I was aware that simply turning the prismes has no impact.
I didn’t read the articles about skew polyhedra before. Im glad that my desriptions of the "organisation" is correct (but evidently not complete).

For new colorings: it is now evident for me that finding such colorings is a very deep and delicate process.

I have finished now the deep cut runcinated 5-cell v020 for which the "theorem of Baumann" applies (no pieces stay at home). Counting more carefully the orbits (not an easy job) I had to reformulate the theorem.
The "theorem of Astrelin" applies to bitruncated 5-cell v200 where no pieces stay at home.

Theorem of Baumann old, erroneous

A 90-deg rotation of the whole puzzle "MT skew {4,6|3} 30 v020" (Roice Nelson) around some face gives odd permutation of the edges (15 4-loops) and even permutation of centers (6 4-loops + 1 fixed points). This is reducible to a single edge swap.

Theorem of Baumann new, corrected

A 90-deg rotation of the whole puzzle "MT skew {4,6|3} 30 v020" (Roice Nelson) around some face gives even permutation of the edges (14 4-loops and 2 2-loops) and odd permutation of centers (7 4-loops + 2 fixed points). This is reducible to a single center swap.

The edge 2-loops are about the two opposite colors of the rotation axis (here white and (192,192,0)).

Conclusion of the theorems: after scrambling avoid turning of the whole before you have fixed the home positions.

Best regards
Ed