Message #2423

From: Eduard <baumann@mcnet.ch>
Subject: Barbicontello
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:35:57 -0000

Lets define „Barbicontello&quot; = MagicTile hyp &#123;3,8&#125; 8 V 001. Its a phantasy name.

Barbicontello has only one type of elements (2c edges) and should be a low hanging fruit. I have started to solve it but did nit yet succeed to finish it. It is important not to get stuck by only using grade 1 commutators like [a^(1), b^(-1)] when you search a single 3-cycle. Using commutators [a^m, b^n] with m,n different from +-1 is the solution. You can make the observation that the 2c edges move in two separated orbits! After scrambling and rearranging the 8c corners (which is not so easy) you experience that often all 2c edges are in the wrong orbit! I had a doubt and tried 5 scramblings. Only le 5th had the edges not in the wrong orbits (parity problem?). Now I was searching a move which allows to change the orbit for an edge. abb, with a nd b being neighbours, does the job. But all edges change theire orbit simultaneously. Who can help me to solve Barbicontello?

Kind regards
Ed