Message #2381

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Escher-style puzzle on Hyperbolic plane
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 22:10:02 -0500

Hi Nan,

I like your idea to permute entire tiles around. (Avoiding slicing all
together would likely make things easier to program too.)

On your case (2), since the wings/tails meet at an edge of the underlying
{3,8} tiling, a natural way to do it would be as a 2-cycle rotation. Seems
like that could make the resulting puzzle too easy, but maybe not (say, if
you don’t allow 2-cycles around the bird bellies and backs). I don’t see a
way to do an 8-cycle here either, since the {3,8} doesn’t have 8-fold
symmetry around an edge.

Another idea would be to have a permutation which took a strip of birds on
an h-line and translated them. In combination with your 8-cycle rotation
around a vertex, this could make an interesting and challenging puzzle.

Also, I think the "no slicing" approach to puzzles you’re describing could
have application to a {3,3,8} puzzle :D

seeya,
Roice