Message #2369

From: Matthew <damienturtle@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject: MHT633 8 colour solved
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 22:40:32 -0000

Hi guys, been a while since I posted here. I’ve not had as much free time as I would have liked or anticipated, but I’m still here in the background somewhere and enjoying reading the posts which drop into my inbox.

Anyway, after attending another speedcubing competition last month I’ve had time to focus on other puzzles, and I finally took on one of the strange beasts from the MHT633 program. I went for the 8 colour version since it would take less time as it has less pieces, and also because it is more compact which adds a bit of difficulty in finding sequences of moves, although it was still relatively simple. I’m not sure what the shortest solution is, but I used 2057 twists without paying too much attention to reducing movecount. I could easily reduce this number a lot, but I wasn’t comfortable enough with the geometry at the start to try and use a more efficient method. I’m more familiar with it now, but it’s still a bit unusual (and having been a member here for a couple of years, that’s really saying something).

I noticed the lengthy discussion recently about hyperbolic puzzles, mainly the {3,3,7}, and while it seemed like an interesting discussion, most of it went over my head, can anyone recommend a good source to read to explain these things to an amateur like me?

If anyone wants to see my solution, I uploaded my log file to my folder.

Hopefully I can be a little more active here until I start my next year at university, at which point I will likely not have much time to spend on puzzles. I’ll try and make the most of it and I’ll try and bring some interesting news to you all over the next few weeks :).

Matt