Message #2144

From: David Vanderschel <DvdS@Austin.RR.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Faulty Logic Counting States for 4D Center-Edge Cubies
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 19:40:08 -0500

Roice wrote:
>On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM, David Vanderschel wrote:

>>If a more rigorous argument has been presented somewhere,
>>I would appreciate learning about it.

>The following paper has shown up on our list a number of
>times. They derive permutation counts for all piece
>types, so it should be relevant.

>http://udel.edu/~tomkeane/RubikTesseract.pdf

Actually they make an assertion, without proof, that is not
as comprehensive as what Eric and Brandon wrote. What they
have to say seemed to presume a situation in which the
cubie was located in its home position.

>Also, David Smith has put a lot of thought into this
>topic, and I think his writings are valuable. The links
>in some of our archive emails appear broken, but this one
>works:

>http://seti.weebly.com/channel.html

I should have thought to take a look at his paper myself.
As it turns out, he offers the same valid proof that I did.

FWIW, his paper is in the 4D_Cubing Files area as well:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/co7ldfa

I wonder if we should try to get Eric to update his
Permutations page on the MC4D site to include the proof.

Does anyone have a working email address for Eric
Balandraud? The two for his Group membership both show to
be "bouncing".

Regards,
David V.