Message #2115

From: David Vanderschel <DvdS@Austin.RR.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Calculating the number of permutation of 2by2by2by2by2 (2^5)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 00:57:46 -0500

Brandon wrote:
> You can think of re-orienting a puzzle as permuting the
> colors in some way. For example, on a cube if you rotate
> the whole cube about the U face you’ve done the equivalent
> of a 4-cycle of the face colors in the equator between the
> U and D faces. In that sense there are 24 ways to
> "permute" the colors on a Rubik’s cube. The way the
> calculation is done though avoids counting this extra
> factor of 24. On the Rubik’s cube it is easy to avoid
> this extra factor of 24 because it has the centers.

Thank you, Brandon, for echoing exactly what I was
originally trying to explain to Melinda. However, you have
overlooked the same issue that I did on first pass. What
she is driving at is that there is a sense in which certain
arrangements, which appear to be distinct based on the
particular arrangement of sticker colors (even when
correcting for pile orientation), may be very closely
related if you are allowed to reassign the colors. The
relevant sense of similarity that Roice and I have tried to
point her to is conjugation by a symmetry. This is not the
same thing as reorientation of the pile, as it does produce
equivalent arrangements which cannot be made to match up
(sticker-color-wise) by straight reorientation. Please
refer to my last post, which attempts to explain this
distinction in greater detail.

Regards,
David V.