Message #2109

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Calculating the number of permutation of 2by2by2by2by2 (2^5)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 20:00:03 -0500

Hi Melinda,

To help solve the "God’s Number" problem, the cube20
<http://www.cube20.org> guys
used the trick of considering states that *only differ by a symmetry of the
cube* to be the same. I think this is precisely what you are describing.
Their site links to a cube lovers post titled "The real size of cube
space<http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~Martin.Schoenert/Cube-Lovers/Dan_Hoey__The_real_size_of_cube_space.html>",
which writes:

In the sense that (for instance) there is really only one position 1 QT
> from start, even though that QT may be applied in twelve different ways,
> this task amounts to counting the true number of positions of the cube.

By identifying states like this, they reduced the number of states they had
to search by a factor of 48 (a factor of 24 from cube rotations and an
extra factor of 2 from reflections). The cube lovers post has more detail
about counting numbers of particular states that are equivalent when looked
at from this perspective. This is also described in the paper "25 Moves
Suffice for Rubik’s Cube <http://arxiv.org/abs/0803.3435>" (and probably in
their later papers as well, though those don’t look to be available on the
arxiv).

So in the 4D case, the state space size would get reduced by 384 (192
rotational symmetries of the hypercube * 2 for reflections). For any
dimension, the factor can be calculated as:

2^n * n!

I grabbed that formula from the wikipedia page on the hyperoctahedral
group<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperoctahedral_group>.
For other shapes besides hypercubes, we could also use the size of the
underlying symmetry group to find out how many states there are which are
"the same" in this sense. So for Klein’s Quartic, we’d get to divide by a
factor of 336.

Cheers,
Roice