Message #2094

From: schuma <mananself@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: About the number of permutations of MC4D calculating
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 04:48:55 -0000

Charlie,

Your number is not half of the number on the website, but 3/4 of the number. And the difference is for the orientation of the last 4C piece.

When all the other pieces are solved, the last 4C piece has 4 possible orientations, but not 3. So the total number of orientations of 4C should be (4!/2)^15*4. Another way to get the same number is first counting all possible orientations for the last piece: (4!/2)^16, and then noting that one out of three is possible so /3: (4!/2)^16/3. I guess you may confused this two ways of counting so you wrote (4!/2)^15*3.

Nan