Message #2076

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: MagicTile, Topology of MT IRP {5,5} 8c F 0:0:0.85
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 22:24:31 -0500

I’m glad to see this one getting attention - a nice excuse to take a closer
look :) Here are a couple thoughts to add to the mix:

I’ve talked a little offline with Nan about macros on these puzzles with
asymmetric coloring. Setting up a macro in one location and applying it
elsewhere is definitely strange. We even discussed disallowing this, but I
decided to leave in the capability. The user has some extra responsibility
as a result, and must be aware of whether it makes sense to apply the macro
in a given position/orientation, based on where the macro was defined. As
Ed and Melinda found, it doesn’t always make much sense!

What MagicTile does to transform a macro is to take its pattern of clicks
on the underlying tiling (think of the uncolored, infinite tiling),
transform that to the new position/orientation on the tiling, then find
which new faces correspond to the transformed clicks and click them.
Macros behave much better on puzzles with symmetric colorings, where they
act the same no matter where applied.

I just had a thought…it would be extremely interesting if we could find a
macro on an asymmetrically colored puzzle that did two *different but useful
* things depending on where it was applied. Can you imagine a macro that
somehow could do both a 2-cycle and a 3-cycle. Now that would be cool!

seeya,
Roice