Message #2071

From: Eduard <baumann@mcnet.ch>
Subject: MagicTile, Topology of MT IRP {5,5} 8c F 0:0:0.85
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:51:37 -0000

This puzzle is not trivial. I wanted to have a sequence (macro) which flipps to neighbouring edges. A little by luck I found such a sequence which got the name a13. Doing a walk which brings back an edge in flipped state takes a lot of place and it is not easy to find a 3-cycle in the complement. Applying this macro is not easy in this puzzle. Having the reference point inbetween the two flipped edges I had to try all 5 positions in the face to find the only one which works (in wrong positions there was no effect or completely other effects than a double flip). With a setup it was always possible to get arround this problem.
I think the problem is typical for the topology of this puzzle. Can anybody of you do a more profound analysis? Is this puzzle 1-sided? Is it orientable? We have only 8 colors what forces a non trivial "glueing" of edges (oriented edges?).
I uplaod my macrofile for this puzzle on the 4D cubing group. Try the macro a13.