Message #1981

From: schuma <mananself@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: hemi-puzzles!
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 17:35:17 -0000

Roice,

Thank you for such a special Xmas gift. After seeing your description of the topology, I solved this puzzle. The solution is quite traditional, solving the pieces type by type. For each type I solved the "special" polygons first to make sure nothing weird happens. For the pieces related to special polygons, I had to carefully select the moves so that they don’t intersect in an unexpected way. Aside from this there’s no more difficulty.

But I have to say your analysis is very very helpful and illuminating. Without the planar graph I won’t understand how it works.

Maybe I’ll apply your method to analyze and try the other asymmetric puzzles in the future. Before today I don’t really know how to deal with them.

The other hemi-polyhedral puzzles are pretty straightforward though.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone!

Nan