Message #1898

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: yet more new puzzles and a prize
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 18:42:58 -0600

No worries at all - I had just wanted to let you know rotation was
available.

It looks like Don has hardcoded the motion model (which he did
independently of the hyperbolic geometry model), and not provided a key
toggle to switch it. My apologies for not mentioning that earlier. To see
the other models, you’d need to recompile his applet after altering the
code. In the version I have downloaded, the code is around line 1374 of
the file HyperbolicApplet.prejava file, and looks like this:

//int motionModel = TRACKBALL;<br>
//int motionModel = DRAG&#95;GEODESIC;<br>
//int motionModel = DRAG&#95;NONPRECESSING;<br>
int motionModel = DRAG&#95;PURETRANSLATE&#95;CLAMPED;

You could change what is commented to try the other models. Getting a
setup to recompile would probably take some effort though.

With regards to hyperbolic geometry models, I’ve played with a few of these
in MagicTile, but I haven’t yet made the controls work for them. I just
uploaded a couple pictures… some puzzles in the Klein model, and one
pasted on the pseudosphere <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudosphere>.
The Klein model may become my favorite view when solving puzzles. It has
a very spherical feel to it, due to circles getting squashed towards the
edges, and magnifies pieces near the center. I don’t think the
pseudosphere ends up being a very workable view, since you can’t show a
large percentage of the hyperbolic plane on it at once.

seeya,
Roice