Message #1675

From: David Smith <djs314djs314@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Goldilock’s function
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 05:24:56 -0700

Whoops!  I made an obvious error when I said, "And there are no 120-cells of order
larger than 3, and there really can’t be, just as for all puzzles with no slice moves,
for if there were, slice moves would be required to move the inner 1-colored pieces."
I don’t know exactly why I said that.  I just now realized that if we do *not* count
fixed centers in our counts of nStickers, nPieces, and n1CStickers, then the
formula will be more accurate.  Melinda, I apologize for this oversight.  But, if it
is easier to keep the formula the way it is, I’m fine with that, as the difference
between the current formula and this new improved one would be negligible,
and besides by keeping it the way it is, we are slightly overcounting, which is
safe.  Also, your program no doubt has functions for the three functions involved
already, and they would have to be modified, making the formula more complex.
I’m fine with overcounting if you are, and it only affects pieces with fixed centers.

All the best,
David