Message #1650

From: David Smith <djs314djs314@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Hi everyone, I’m back!
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 17:53:30 -0700

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for your reassurance that I belong here!  I know I can be a bit of a downer
on myself sometimes, and will try to stay more positive in the future. :)  The
less time people have to spend reassuring me, that’s less time wasted!  And
thanks for the good advice regarding sending long or mathematically detailed
messages, as well.  And I agree that the wiki is a great idea.  I’m hoping that
some of you find my efforts enjoyable and/or useful.

Yes, it appears I must have missed out on a whole lot of great times.  Shame on
me!  At least I’m back, and I’m definitely going to make the best of it, and
contribute as much as I can.

Speaking of contributing, permutations are good and all, but I’d really like to
help in a more significant way.  And so I’m delighted to hear that you have some
ideas for how I can contribute with the Goldilocks function! (I like your Brownian
motion explanation, by the way.  It is even more clear when one considers that
for any particular piece, the vast majority of random face turns won’t even move
it, much less get it equally likely to be in any position!  And by symmetry, we
can say the puzzle is fully scrambled when a single piece is equally likely to
be anywhere after random face turns.)  I certainly didn’t feel off the hook before,
it was more of a let-down!  Now I’m very glad you have clarified that I will be
able to help with this. :)

Before, I didn’t actually realize that the very low number of twists, compared to
the number needed to randomize the puzzle, had a noticeable impact on the puzzle
solving, but now I’m hearing that it does.  And wouldn’t it be wonderful to have
a truly scrambled puzzle?  I’m truly happy that you love the idea of generating
completely scrambled puzzles.  I’ve been thinking about it, and I believe we can
make it work, possibly even for the create your own puzzle option!  In my earlier
post, I was mostly concerned with you as the programmers, having to modify your
code too much.  But if you willing to do so for such a huge benefit, I can try
and make it work.  It would be a great contribution!  When finding my formulas,
the hard part nowadays is in counting the number of pieces of every family.  The
easy part is actually finding the restrictions, and I may be able to do so for any
puzzle given the Schlafli symbol.  As I mentioned in my previous post about the
corner algorithm, I have a systematic method for determining permutation and
orientation restrictions of any puzzle very quickly and easily.  I’ll write up the
complete algorithm is pseudocode, once I finish, and then we’ll see if you think
it’s worth implementing.

There might be a difficulty in implementing such a scrambling method for
pieces called wings (see the wiki for an explanation; it’s a bit lengthy), however.
You might need to modify your code so you know which pieces are wings and
which are normals as you generate them.  But in any case, I’m confident at this
point that I can come up with an algorithm.

Thanks a lot for writing, and I look forward to assisting you!

All the best,
David