Message #1645

From: Matthew Galla <mgalla@trinity.edu>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Hi everyone, I’m back!
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 03:56:43 -0500

David,

I for one am actually enjoying your outbursts of mathematical talk,
erroneous or not, and even when you do make mistakes or hasty conclusions, I
feel like we can all learn from them.

Some time ago, I was doing research into God’s Algorithm/God’s Number for
the Rubik’s Cube. I came across a discussion of the first lower bounds set
on God’s Number before Michael Reed’s work. Although it is a very crude
proof and seems to be guaranteed to not get the right answer (having applied
this idea to several puzzles), the argument does give a concrete proof of
the lower bounds of God’s Number for any puzzle and can be calculated in
seconds.

My apologies if you are familiar with this work already, but in case you (or
anyone else!) aren’t (/isn’t) allow me to run through it quickly:

The basic argument is as follows: Assume we are operating in the free group
on the generators formed by the available moves of the Rubik’s Cube. What
this essentially means is every possible sequence of moves is considered
different even if they lead to the same position: for example UD is
considered different from DU, even though they result in the same position.
Clearly, the number of positions reachable in n moves is less than or equal
to the number of states in the free group reachable in n moves (i.e. the
number of unique sequences of moves of length less than or equal to n;
actually, I think I will just drop the free group perspective here, it isn’t
really necessary). However, counting the number of sequences you can make in
n moves is much easier than counting the number of states reachable in n
moves. For a Rubik’s cube, there are 18 choices for the first move. After
that, there are only 15 choices because if you move the same face again, it
could have been reached in only one move (using FTM). So, the number of
sequences you could form in say, 3 moves or less is:

1+18+18*15+18*15*15 = 4339.

Now if we try to calculate the number of sequences you could form in 16
moves or less, we get

1+18+18*15+18*15*15 +… = 1 + 18*sum as n goes from 0 to 15 of (15^n) = 1 +
18*((1-15^16)/(1-16)) [using the partial sum of a geometric series]

which is about 7.88x10^18. Now the main point here is:

number of positions reachable in 16 moves <= number of sequences of 16 moves
or less < total number of states to a Rubik’s Cube.

So the above is a simple proof that the lower bound for the Rubik’s Cube is
greater than 16. In fact you can make some more arguments that will allow
you to push the limit above 17, but that isn’t really necessary for my
point.

On to what I wanted to share:
What I did was apply this same idea to many, many other twisty puzzles to
get a decent guess at God’s Number for different puzzles. (One funny result
is that this analysis gives a lower bound of 42 for the megaminx). I
discovered something VERY interesting when I applied this to the 120Cell,
though the numbers are significantly huger!

The 120 Cell has 120 faces that can each be in one of 60 orientations. If
the 120Cell program used the equivalent of FTM, there would be 120*59=7080
possibilities for the 1st move and 119*59=7021 possibilities for every move
after that. However, the program uses the equivalent of QTM which means any
2/5 rotation around a pentagonal face of any cell cannot be achieved in 1
move. As there are 6 axes in one face about which this type of rotation can
happen, and 2 directions per axis, there are 6*2=12 orientations of a cell
that are not reachable in a single click. However, all other orientations
are reachable in a single click. Thus, for this program there are
120*(59-12)=5640 possibilities for the 1st move and 119*(59-12)=5593
possibilities for every move after that.

To simplify things, let’s only consider the last term in our sum. When you
consider the geometric growth of the number of sequences of length n and the
fact that countless sequences will return you to solved in less than those n
moves (once n>3), it is fairly easy to see that in all likelihood, the last
term alone is sufficient to GROSSLY overestimate the number of positions
reachable in n moves. So, the question becomes what is the smallest n such
that the number of sequences of length n (just exactly, not less than or
equal to) is greater than the number of positions of the 120Cell, which we
all know is 2.3*10^8126 thanks to you! In other words, what is the smallest
value of n such that

5640*5593^(n-1)>2.3*10^8126.

With some clever logarithmic manipulation, you can find this value on even a
simple scientific calculator: n=2169. Although there is a small hole in this
proof as I have presented it, I can say with 100% confidence that the
120Cell requires at least 2169 moves (and probably many more!) to even REACH
every possible state, let alone reach them with a degree of equal
likelihood. As far as I am aware, the stored scramble is only 1000 random
moves, less than half of the number of the lower bounds for God’s Number for
the 120Cell.

Not that I think it helps ANYONE, but this means that, strictly speaking,
the Magic 120Cell has NEVER been FULLY scrambled…. ;)

I just wanted to reassure you that there is some truth in your concern over
the insufficient number of scrambling moves for the 120Cell. I unfortunately
discovered this near the very end of my solve, so as you can probably
imagine, I wasn’t terribly thrilled at the result because, again strictly
speaking, none of the 120Cell solves can really be considered legitimate…
:( (but again, I don’t see how a solver can benefit from the less than
sufficient scramble)

Think nothing of correcting yourself multiple times! I for one enjoy
following your work even in its mistakes. I am of the opinion that if the
mistake is caught by the same person who made it, it was never a mistake at
all, just an equation that hadn’t been proofread. Many writers and editors
would call such a thing a typo! ;)

Enjoy,
Matt Galla

PS: My best guess for the actual God’s Number to the 120Cell is somewhere
between 2450 and 2550, if anyone was curious. I by no means have any proof,
just a guess based on extrapolation from puzzles with known God’s Numbers.