Message #1631

From: David Smith <djs314djs314@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Order-2 Klein’s Quartic permutation count
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:21:29 -0700

No problem!  I thought you would like to see the Klein’s Quartic permutation counts.  Yes, I would love to join the wiki (again!); please sign me up! (The page instructs me to contact either you or Melinda.)  Should I post every time I complete a calculation?  That would almost certainly be unnecessary and flood the message board.  But, I’ll certainly let at least you know Roice, as the creator of MagicTile, and also update the wiki.  Also, I’ve just created a new folder in the files section with all of my relevant work on Magic120Cell and the original MagicCube4D.  When I complete the MagicTile and MagicCube4D 4.0 formulas, I’ll create a file for each with all of my results and include them there.  Then, maybe I could research some of Andrey’s programs; that would be fun.

Congratulations on working on a new MagicTile version!  I’m looking forward to it!  My main point was that as MagicTile displays the puzzles now; the number of visually different configurations of the puzzle itself is different (smaller) than the number of visually different screenshots one could take of MagicTile.  This is because of the fixed position and orientation of the tiles.  If we could switch the center tile for another and rotate the entire puzzle, as it will be in your future version, then the two counts would be identical, despite the finite number of tiles displayed.  I then clarified what should be meant by ‘visually distinguishable’ as it relates to the actual permutations of Klein’s Quartic, since I had just used it in two different ways, and gave an example making clear that we technically need to view Klein’s Quartic from within the hyperbolic plane to correctly count the number of permutations of the structure itself (your future
version will artificially simulate this from a Euclidean perspective).  You are correct, reorientations should not affect the permutation counts, and these reorientations cannot be performed in MagicTile, thus artificially raising the number of visually (screen-wise) different positions, as two differently appearing positions would in fact be the same position once a reorientation is applied.  I think I now see why you became confused; at first glance saying ‘reorientations do not affect the permutation counts’ and ‘the lack of the ability to reorient the position makes the two counts different’ appears to be nonsensical.  If the faces had fixed centers, then it would be nonsensical. :)

I still believe that my count is correct, despite the fact that I am new to counting MagicTile permutations.  I’ll continue to check it for a few minutes, and then move on to the order-3 puzzle.  I appreciate that you are genuinely interested in my results!  That will keep me motivated to continue, despite the fact that I already find it fun. :)  I look forward to tackling the Rubik’s Cubes next, and verifying that they are the same as the known counts for the actual cubes.  Then I will be convinced that I haven’t made some subtle error with the Klein’s Quartic counts.

Thanks again to everyone!  I look forward to continuing my work. :)

All the best,
David