Message #1580

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Reorganizing the various halls of fame?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:39:15 -0700

Hello Matthew,

I’m still astounded that more than one person has solved the full 120
cell. Being first might have been enough motivation for me in the past,
but after that is really hard for me to understand. I’m glad that you
are working on other puzzles and looking for shortest solutions. The
pentagonal duoprism is sort of like the cube’s pretty little sister. It
seems like the natural first puzzle to try after solving the cube. It
was Don’s default puzzle in his first prototype, and it is easy to see why.

Regarding your new log files, I think you can currently edit the wiki
without an account but you will want to create an account here
<http://wiki.superliminal.com/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup>
and log in so that your name will be linked with your edits.

Regarding compression of some consecutive twists on a single face, I
agree that they should count as a single twist. We’ve discussed this a
fair bit in the past and it turns out to be a feature that has a
surprising number of complexities. Issue 28
<http://code.google.com/p/magiccube4d/issues/detail?id=28> talks to this
a bit but there should probably be one created specifically on this
point. It would be great if you would read that discussion
<http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/4D_Cubing/message/1016> in the
message archive and synthesize its conclusions into a new enhancement
request.

Regarding sorted lists of shortest solves, I don’t see any reason not to
include all solutions. It’s just more work to maintain and police them
that I do not want to do, but really, whatever you guys want to do is
fine with me. That’s sort of what wiki’s are all about. It’s better to
have to ask forgiveness than permission.

-Melinda