Message #1556

From: Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com>
Subject: {6,3}, 3 layers, factor=1.2, 9 and 16 colors solved :)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:39:38 -0000

16 colors was easy. When I understood what is the actual role of small triangles, first stage (stars around centers, then corners) was smooth enough, and then simple 4-twist commutators were all I need to resolve edges. I even haven’t needed special operation for re-orientation of edges :)
With 9 colors first stage was equally easy, but edges are too much connected. The best thing that I could develop was 22-twist commutators for 3-cycle of edges and 10-twist for re-orientation of the couple of edges. And I had to remember them in normal and mirrored forms in all orientations of the plane. Terrible…
Anyway, results are 1254 twist for 16 colors and 1630 for 9 colors.
Nice puzzles!

Andrey