Message #1457

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: slicing up MagicTile puzzles without triangle vertex figures
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:53:22 -0600

Thank you Nan, for the feedback and positive comments.

On the {5,5}, yep that was a problem. For hyperbolic puzzles, I incorrectly
allowed the slicing circles to get scaled beyond the boundary of the
Poincare disk, which is not something that really makes a whole lot of
sense, since the circles then lived outside the bounds of the model of the
space. I fixed this when adjusting the scaling I mentioned in my email to
Brandon, and now the maximum radius for those circles will put it on the
disk boundary (meaning they would have infinite radius). These changes led
to the tool no longer defaulting to having the circles go through the
vertices, but I think the new behavior is better. (Btw, using Chrome, I had
to manually clear my browser cache to get the new version to load :S, though
in IE a refresh of the page was enough.)

Thanks for telling me about the Skewb Diamond. With the sizing newly
available on the spherical puzzles, I see now you can do something analogous
with the {5,3}. The midpoint slicing that doubles up slicing circles
results in a circle set that is an icosidodecahedron (looks like this is the
"Pentultimate"). The result on the dual {3,5} looks a little stranger,
having some hexagonal facets (It’s pretty to have both these turned on at
the same time). I don’t know what shape the latter is, but it’s not in
wiki’s list of Archimedean solids, so maybe those hexagons aren’t regular or
are skew or something.

One last thought your email sparked. I like that gelatinbrain has labels
for all his puzzles that people can point to. I only wish they were somehow
more algorithmic and/or descriptive of the puzzle. This has me trying to
think of some natural naming scheme which could generally cover
possibilities. My initial thought (which I don’t like, but may help someone
come up with a better idea) is the Schlafli in combination with a number for
the puzzle type, say the number you get by counting the sequence of
possibilities as slicing circle size increases. So the descriptive name
would be something like "p.q.n", and the Skewb Diamond in this scheme would
be 3.4.6 (I think). What I don’t like about it is the last number, since it
is difficult to even count these, and though algorithmically producible,
isn’t descriptive in a friendly way.

seeya,
Roice