Message #1415

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: The 3 slice pentachoron
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:57:13 -0800

Matt,

If you do decide to create that guide, please consider Roice’s
suggestion of adding a sequence library to the wiki page for the
simplex. Files uploaded to the Yahoo group site are fine for data that
you want to reference from within messages but are otherwise not very
discoverable.

Log files and especially macro definition files are certainly useful,
though I do share your feeling that it is more satisfying when you
figure them out on your own. I still feel that solutions performed using
any of these aids still count and are worthy of recording. My personal
preference is to allow myself use of guides such as Roice’s wonderful
tutorial, but I’d feel a little funny simply picking up and using
someone else’s macro file. Somehow creating my macros from someone
else’s description feels better to me, but again that’s just my
preference.

To emphasize that, it may be fun to hold a speedsolving contest in which
macros are allowed but use of predefined macros is not. Your ability to
quickly create a macro suggests to me that you have mastered its
essence. I just can’t think of a way to run such a contest remotely and
reduce the chances that someone will cheat on that point.

-Melinda