Message #1410

From: Eduard <baumann@mcnet.ch>
Subject: The 3 slice pentachoron
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:33:51 -0000

I asked in this forum for instructions for the pentachoron (3 slices).

Since I got no reaction I think that these instructions do not exist. At
least not for a layered solution (as Roice’s for the magic cube). This
is not astonishing because the pentachoron beeing smaller (only 5 cells
compared with the 8 cells of the magic cube) seems to be more ensnared.
Reading (watching, playing) the log files from R.Durka I can’t learn
anything. Does he use computer aid?

We can distinguish the following technics (1) fully by hand, (2) by hand
and macros, (3) with heavy computer aid. I’m doing (2).

Without any macros and commutators you can do the 5 faces with 4
differently colored octahedra. Then the 5 fourcolored corners can be
done with slice 3 twists only.
After that you have the hard core of the job to be done: the 10
threecolored edges. For the moment I have established a 3-cycles across
an edge, a 3-cycle in a face and a 3-cycle around a vertex. I have also
a concept for a sequence which mirrors two edges in their place. I need
also a sequence to turn two edges in their place. All these sequences
work with slice 2 twists of course.