Message #1397

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Interesting object
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 19:40:01 -0600

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com> wrote:

> A coincident aside related to these hyperbolic translations is that I found
> out yesterday I missed a class of checkerboards on KQ which are due to
> symmetries of this kind. You can have six translational 4-cycles of KQ,
> much like what we are discussing here

Bummer, it turns out the class of hyperbolic translation KQ symmetries don’t
lead to valid checkerboards. The symmetries are "fixed point free", and all
84 edges move in 4-cycles. That’s 21 4-cycles, an odd number of odd
permutations, so no go (unless we cheat and pop the puzzle apart :D).

On the plus side, the translation checkerboards should work on the {8,3}
puzzles, both the existing 12-colored one and the 24-colored one which needs
to be implemented.

24-colored
There are 8*24/2 = 96 edges, so when they are all 4-cycled, we’ll have 24
sets.

12-colored
There are 8*12/2 = 48 edges, and the translations are 3-cycles in this case,
16 sets of them.

The latter should be a fun exercise, and if anyone would like to try, here
is a sequence to 3-cycle edge pieces without affecting anything else, using
clicks on only two faces.

    ( R2 L' R' L R' L R ) ( L2' R L R' L R' L' )

Swapping the two sub-sequences in parenthesis is another useful variant, and
these are what I used to make the KQ checkerboards.

Best,
Roice