Message #1389

From: Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Interesting object
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 09:05:23 -0000

Roice,
Yes, their picture of the vertex shows that there are really 8 triagles meet at the point, but they call it (10,3) lattice… It looks like the surface of the periodic subset of octahedral-tetrahedral lattice. May be you know how to describe this subset?
My method of painting of (8,3) gives 28-color painting! Picture is here: http://astr73.narod.ru/pics/8x3_28.jpg Cells are indexed by frations a/b, where a,b are from Z/8Z, and fractions a/b and (-a)/(-b) are equivalent, but a/b and (3a)/(3b) are different. If cells a/b, c/d and e/f have common vertex, then a+p*c+q*e=0, b+p*d+q*f=0 for some p,q=1 or -1.
So we have 28 colors: 1/0,3/0,n/1,n/3,k/2,k/6,1/4,3/4, where n=0..7, k=1,3,5,7. If we unify colors a/b and 3a/3b, we’ll get non-orientable 14-color puzzle.
And about your riddle - it is too simple for me. Is it OK to leave it to somebody else?

Good luck!
Andrey