Message #1378

From: Andrey <andreyastrelin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Variations of Rubik’s Cube puzzle
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:47:31 -0000

Hi Alex,
It’s very interesting set of puzzles that you presented. I’ve tried "Grandmaster level". Not very difficult - it took only 1 hour to solve, but this puzzle is very unusual: if you take, for example, 2C piece and make "local" twists, you can’t flip it. You have to move it around the torus to change orientation! So it behaves like a part of non-orientable puzzle, while the torus itself is orientable surface! Very interesting effect. The same is true for 4C pieces: local twists can make 180-degree rotation of them, and for 90-degree you have to move it around the torus too.
Unfortunately, I haven’t algorithm for it: solution was almost intuitive. I first solved two outer rings of the square so only central 5x5 face was unsolved, then oriented all 2C and 4C pieces (by moving them to the torus boundary and retreiving from the back side), then positioned all 2C (by commutator like (F- I- H- E- H+ E+ I+ F+), where A..I are centers of the faces in order ABC//DEF//GHI). Unfortunately these commutators flip 4C pieces, so you have perform them twice. Last stage was positioning of 4C - and operation was like (I2 E+ I2 E+ I2 E2 I2) - it makes 3-cycle of 4Cs of E face.

Andrey