Message #1328

From: Matthew <damienturtle@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] noteworthy new hypersolutions
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 14:06:45 -0000

Congrats to my namesake for beating the 120-cell, and to Ethan, welcome to the club! Membership includes a free straight-jacket and a psychiatrist (just kidding of course). I would also love to hear about your experiences with the solves. When I get the time I plan to try and have a look at Ethan’s solution to see how he went about the solve, though a description would be a good place to start.

To answer some of Melinda’s points: I believe that any challenge available for these puzzles which is humanly possible will eventually be conquered by someone. Also, 3^4 blindfolded is already on my to-do list. I have already posted about trying to solve the 2^4 this way, though after several attempts I have not been successful yet (my closest was off by 2 corner twists). I have a memorisation method planned out for the 3^4, all I need is to finish planning the execution method and enough free time (and to get better at blindsolving). I will try and beat the 2^4 first though, and maybe get the solve stage on video if I can.
This presents a question, are pre-recorded macros allowed? Are macros recorded during the solve allowed? Solving the 2^4 blind without them is easy enough, but it will be significantly more difficult to conquer the 3^4 without them. I also wonder about the commutator and conjugate ability of MC7D. Part of the difficulty of blindfold solving is doing and undoing the setup moves correctly (significantly harder in 4D!), and these functions would reduce that difficulty. My aim is to blindfold solve without these aids, but I was wondering what other people’s thoughts are.

Sorry for getting a little carried away when this is supposed to be about these two great solves (and solvers). Now we have to wait and see what they solve next!

Matt