Message #1308

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 5D Pacman v 0.11
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:02:30 -0800

Andrey,

The new version works a lot better. It took me a while to understand the
UI but once I did I found that it is quite usable. Like most people, I
tried to figure things out without looking for instructions so it took
me a little while to get it. The one thing that I would not have figured
out is that the user’s packman always tries to go deeper into the
screen, but I remembered that from your description and now it makes
sense. It might be helpful to very briefly list the main instructions at
the bottom with a menu checkbox to toggle them on and off.

Also, I found it a little tricky to use the mouse for both scene
rotation and pause/resume but I got used to it reasonable quickly. BTW,
the Start button should switch to "Resume" once the game is paused, not
"Start". See how I did the buttons on my Tetris applet
<http://www.superliminal.com/tetris/Tetris.htm>.

Finally, I don’t really see what is 4D or 5D about those choices other
than the fact that their graphs are similar to hypercube edges. It seems
to me that all graphs from 3D on up are all really just 3D since there
is room enough in R3 to embed any graph. Maybe in 3D the men should be
able to roam around 2D surfaces instead of 1D lines, etc.? Regardless, I
think that your 3D version may be more fun than the original 2D so I
encourage you to continue polishing it. The next thing I would love to
see would be sound effects.

Nice job!
-Melinda