Message #1230

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: MHT633 v0.1 uploaded
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:10:01 -0500

> Regarding Roice’s mentioning of contiguous (not "continuous") cubies in
> which stickers on the same cubie exactly touch each other, it never
> seemed possible to get a good set of parameters with this constraint
> needed to make MC4D workable, but maybe it would work in this case. It
> is definitely a closer analog to the original Rubik puzzles.

There is a way to make the implementation of this much easier, which I used
in M120C. Instead of shrinking the stickers based on their centers, you
shrink them from appropriate points on the cell boundary. You also make it
so that when the cell size is set to maximum, it fits the cell boundary of
the parent polytope (which is a very natural choice anyway). Then you will
always have contiguous cubies when the cell size is maxed out, regardless of
the sticker shrink value. This avoids an awkward dependence of contiguous
cubies on both the face shrink and sticker shrink parameters (requiring
constraint calculations to get a working set).

seeya,
Roice