Message #1184

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Tetrahedral prism {3,3}x{}, 3 layers solved
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:29:33 -0700

I don’t know if there is or is not such a difference. Roice was the
one directly supporting the Don’s puzzle creation code so I mostly
deferred to his opinions in such matters while I’d veto puzzles with
other problems such as infinite loops while scrambling, etc. In general
we didn’t include any puzzles that didn’t get the thumbs up from both of
us, therefore any puzzles not in that set are considered unsupported.
We’re both happy that people explore outside these bounds of the
supported set but you’re basically on your own with them in that you
risk losing your records if we end up defining a particular puzzle
differently from what you solved. It’s also not up to us to prove
whether such a change makes for a fundamentally different puzzle. By
adding your solution to the wiki’s firsts and shortests, it becomes your
responsibility to make sure that it’s accurate according to the puzzle
definitions that end up being supported. I suggest that until that time
you add an asterisk on the records page with a footnote flagging it as a
tentative record. I think that should hold for any more such solutions
by anyone. Alternatively, if you can convince Roice that the puzzle is
well defined and implemented, then we should add it to the supported
list. Of course if you’d like to work on extending the range of
supported puzzles, we’d love your help. Just note that Don has a more
up-to-date engine that we didn’t know about at the time and the task of
incorporating that new engine is our highest priority issue #94
<http://code.google.com/p/magiccube4d/issues/detail?id=94>. We’re just
not doing any development currently.

-Melinda