Message #1178

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Re: Tetrahedral prism {3,3}x{}, 3 layers solved
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:52:22 -0500

Hi Andrey and Nan,

Cool to hear about your adventures with the tetrahedral prism puzzles. The
reason the {3,3}x{} puzzles aren’t in the UI is that there were known
problems with them, as you’ve found. Plus, we had to leave some items for
future releases :) I dug up the development emails we were exchanging last
year to refresh my memory, and am including a few relevant portions below.

on 11/11/09, roice wrote:

> However, I already happened to run into an interesting downside behavior
> with the change. I got the tetrahedral prism puzzles working tonight, but
> held off enabling in the UI just yet because of the following. Similar to
> David’s observation of how the length-2 simplex puzzle has a 5C piece, the
> length-2 and length-3 tetrahedral prism puzzles have a number of stickers
> which should twist like 2C pieces, but actually are part of 4C pieces. So
> the wrong grips get considered, and the end result is some twists which we
> want are being disallowed. The puzzles are therefore unduly limited. In
> fact, on the length-2 puzzle, the end result is that only the two
> tetrahedral faces can be twisted, and the current scrambling code goes into
> an infinite loop because it doesn’t like the lack of variance there.

In short, MC4D currently uses a "piece type" property (2C/3C/4C) to help
control twist types. This is mostly good, but number-of-colors turns out
to not be a discriminating enough property in all situations (in particular,
on the tetrahedral prisms). The problem of matching up pieces with twist
types is a difficult one to find an elegant general solution for. When this
is worked out and these puzzles are officially released, they will likely
have slightly different twisting behavior.

I think it’d be nice to change the relative sizes of the tetrahedra and
prism portions on these puzzles as well. Unlike other polytopes which are
constrained to have fixed cell sizes, prisms have some extra flexibility
there…

Take Care,
Roice