Message #1160

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] First week in 4D
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 20:24:59 +0000

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:00:42 -0000
"schuma" <mananself@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes I build long algorithms based on short algorithms.
> Unfortunately when I record a macro, it is not allowed to call
> another macro. Here is what I did. I created an empty log file,
> performed all the turns in the long algorithm including calling
> macros, and saved the log file. I went into the log file, copied the
> sequence of moves, pasted it into the macro file, and added certain
> information like the name of the new macro and reference stickers. I
> guess some people also do this. But I haven’t found discussion about
> it. Maybe that’s because I haven’t read much in the archived mails.

Hey schuma, I do this too. I haven’t seen any discussions about it
either. The macro format seems human readable enough that this isn’t
such a bad practice.

For example, I built some log files to demonstrate a couple 3-cycles
here:

The commutated commutator macro was just a quick emacs session.

With MC7D there is essentially a sequence "stack" where you can push
move sequences onto the stack and then pop them off in their inverted
form.

So if you are making a commutator can do push S, push X, push Y, pop X,
pop Y, pop S and get [S, (X,Y) S’].

Andrey mentioned the idea here:
and then implemented it an documented it here: