Message #1036

From: matthewsheerin <damienturtle@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject: Re: definition of a twist
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 23:20:07 -0000

Hi Andy,
time for some feedback on those twists :). In order of pics:

A1: Not possible currently. It gives odd permutation of 4C pieces. Combining any two of these produces a valid state though (assuming 90 degree twists).

B1: Certainly possible. One of the ‘parity’ cases Klaus presented. Not sure I would class it as parity though. 5 move solution which I’m sure I uploaded somewhere around here …

bii: First, what’s with the change of notation? Second, can’t see what’s happening there, I need a better pic.

A2: Seems to be the same as B1.

b: This order is confusing! So is the picture again. Try showing only the necessary faces, otherwise the screen becomes too cluttered in 5D.

B2: This isn’t immediately obvious … got it. Possible in 6 twists.

That seems to be the lot of them. Personally, I prefer the current twist system, it seems to be the most natural. Also, I might upload log files of these to the folder the pics are in, or at least the possible ones (and maybe re-upload the Klaus cases). However, nice to hear about a different approach to these puzzles.

Matt