Message #907

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Guess what is it :)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:27:23 -0700

Looks more like seven dimensions to me because each sticker of the big
4D cube has an additional 3 dimensions of its own. Still, it’s very odd
because the big puzzle has edge length 3 whereas the stickers are
divided into edge length 5 (and missing the edge pieces). Even if they
had the same lengths I doubt it would be a strict analog of the
Rubik-style puzzles we’re used to.

My guess or perhaps my hope is that it’s really a fractal 4D cube in the
style of the fractal 3D void cubes that we’d talked about a few months
ago. My hope is that clicking on any of the level 1 stickers (the tiny
ones) will perform a normal 4D twist in that local region of that tiny
4^4 while simultaneously performing a normal 4D twist of the whole level
2 puzzle. In fact I think that I can even see the twist most likely to
bring it closer to being solved. It would be a left click on a salmon
colored left facing center-center level 1 sticker of the left facing
center-center level 2 sticker at the very topmost edge of the image
slightly to the right of center. That’s my guess and I’m sticking to
it! :-)

It’s frighteningly impressive too and that’s for certain.
-Melinda